The Research Institute
Oasi Maria SS. is a National Research Institute (legal status: Non-profit Association) dealing with research and provision of highly-specialized healthcare services for patients with intellectual disabilities and diseases typical of the elderly age. The general aim of the Institute is the «multidisciplinary study of congenital and inborn causes of mental retardation (intellectual disabilities) and brain aging, and the identification of prevention, diagnosis, treatment and rehabilitation means».
Since 1988, Oasi Institute is a highly-specialized Research Institute for the treatment of and research on Intellectual Disabilities and Brain Aging, established under joint accreditation by the Ministry of Health and Ministry of Public Education, as of February 9, 1988. Accreditation renewals: 1993, 2006, and 2015, under the Law 288/03.
- Regional Reference Centre for the “treatment, prevention, diagnosis, rehabilitation and research on genetic diseases comorbid to mental retardation and brain ageing, including Alzheimer’s Disease and other complicating conditions” (Health Regional Council Decree as of October 28, 1999 pursuant to and by effect of art. 5 of the Health Regional Council Decree as of August 6, 1999, n. 29684).
- Member of the National Network for prevention, survey, diagnosis and treatment of rare diseases (Health Regional Council Decree as of November 12, 2001, published in the Official Gazette December 14, 2001, n. 60, pursuant to the Ministerial Law Decree as of May 18, 2001, n. 279).
- A-level Hospital under the National Health System accreditation (Regional Health Council Decree as of June 12, 2002);
- Regional Reference Centre for highly-specialized services and high social and health interest (Regional Health Council Decree as of October 23, 2003);
- Regional Classified Hospital (Regional Health Council Decree as of September 21, 2010);
- Regional Reference Centre for Prevention, Diagnosis and Treatment of Rare Genetic Diseases associated with Mental Retardation and Brain Aging (Regional Health Council Decree as of March 28, 2013, n. 617);
- Regional Reference Centre for Prevention, Diagnosis and Treatment of Genodermatosis (Regional Health Council Decree as of March 28, 2013, n. 617).
- Since 1996, Oasi is a WHO Collaborating Centre for Research and Training in Neuroscience. Latest renewal: January 2015.
- In 1996 the Foundation Oasi-China Centre for Epilepsy was established, in collaboration with the Department for International Cooperation of Beijing (Shuny county) of the Chinese Ministry of Health, for treatment and research in the field of epilepsy. NON ESISTE PIU’
- Oasi is a member of the NGO “Rehabilitation International”.
- Since 2003, Oasi is a member of the Association of Italian Hospitals around the World, promoted by the Italian Ministry of Health, that is aimed to remotely assist people around the world on diagnostic, therapeutic and rehabilitation issues relating to mental retardation. NON ESISTE PIU’
- Oasi is a member of the Italian Network for Clinical and Rehabilitation Neuroscience (ANCR).
Health promotion focusing on individual health conditions, health interventions aimed at a state of physical, mental and social wellbeing of persons with intellectual disabilities, and prevention actions on the causes of disability constitute a complex intervention model put in place by excellent hospital facilities where health research conjugates with diagnostic and rehabilitation protocols inspired by the International Classification of Functioning Disability and Health (ICF), as well as with rehabilitation interventions to be delivered in the community context, by enhancing supporting actions to families of persons with disabilities.
Oasi Maria SS. Institute has adopted this model and therefore:
- first of all, emphasis is put on meeting the needs of persons with intellectual disabilities or other diseases typical of the elderly age;
- provision of in-patient healthcare services – Ordinary Admission or Day Hospital/Day Service – using a multidisciplinary approach in developing prevention, diagnosis, treatment and rehabilitation protocols for persons with intellectual disabilities, dementias or other comorbid diseases;
- out-patient rehabilitation services;
- continuing medical education to strengthen working, relational and organizational skills of professionals and staff members;
- training sessions for families of persons with disabilities;
- promotion of empirical research in the field of intellectual disabilities, diseases of the elderly age and rare diseases, in collaboration with the most prestigious national and international research centers;
- “prosthetic” discharge of patients, promotion of social inclusion and collaboration with local health authorities and rehabilitation centers.
In recent years, Oasi has been working on the establishment of a large regional network of services aimed at:
- increasing the number of local rehabilitation centers within the Sicilian Region;
- enhancing remote counseling through telemedicine and tele-counseling services;
- providing educational courses for professionals working in the local rehab centres;
- integrating and coordinating activities between Oasi Institute based in Troina (main facility) and the other rehab centres scattered all over the Sicilian Region.